Tuesday, February 16, 2010

When I Was Younger I Would Say...

There is no better time than when the Olympics are occurring. Usually I begin by putting the events on in the background as I do work or kill time, and then eventually I find myself drawn to the TV and watching it full time. I prefer the summer games, but the winter games are just as good. I'm not sure why I'm so drawn to the Olympics while I basically loathe watching most other sports on TV (but watching sports in person is another story). I think it's the global aspect to the Olympics and of course, the national competition.

I remember the first Olympic games that I watched, the 1996 Atlanta summer Olympics. I just remember being so engaged and interested in the sports. That year was my third grade of schooling, and I recall we did an Olympics week-long team game in class and I was on team Spain. Random. Then I remember the 1998 Nagano, Japan winter games and watching some strange sport that required riding a giant log/tree down a snowy mountain... The 2000 Sydney games were pretty exciting, but I wasn't as into those games. I remember the schedule was very obscure because of the hemisphere and season differences, and I believe the games were very late in the year (possibly October/Novemeber) so I was too busy with school to pay attention. The 2002 Salt Lake City games I don't even recall watching. Then in 2004 I became OBSESSED with the Athens summer games to the point where I called out of work one day just to stay home and watch some of the events. I think I must have watched nearly all of the events. I remember being so excited for the 2008 games in China, and that was back when I really had no interest in China (pre-college). I even recall making a "Beijing 2008" money jar to save up to go (a big dream back then). Little did I know I would actually PURCHASE tickets to the Beijing games! The games in Torino in 2006 I barely watched, sadly. Then the Beijing Games of 2008 I was of course drawn heavily to. The most angering part was that I actually had about eight tickets to these games, but because I was homesick and left Beijing at the end of June I sold them all. I bought them at the end of my sophomore year, thinking I would study abroad there, and also thinking I would have no chance and just doing it for giggles. And then a year later I had eight tickets mailed to me...I had tickets to badminton, tennis, volleyball, and diving. UGH I completely regret that decision... So yeah, that's my Olympic history.

Tonight was the men's skating short program and it was fun to watch. Japan did really well and placed very close to the top. Canada had been hoping for Patrick Chan to place but last I heard he was in fifth, so no luck there Canada. I don't even know if an American made it to that round or not, so I guess I shouldn't bash. It's always funny to watch because the outfits are so outrageous and flashy, and some of the moves are just as out there. Curling was on earlier and I have to say that is probably the funniest sport to watch, for the screaming and grunting sounds alone.

I am pretty sure I'm heading to Baltimore this weekend with two of my friends. I've never been so I'm pretty excited! Of course I double booked other things for the weekend and now I have to back out of them, but sadly that's how I roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment