Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Numbers Game

"Two posts in one day?" - Yes.

Well I have been scouring the news websites today because I've been pretty bored, and I found two stories which both contain ridiculous amounts of time that really piqued my interest.

The first article that I read was outlandish. It's about a traffic jam north of Beijing, China which has lasted for over nine days, and spans over 62 miles. Imagine waiting in that! Most of the drivers are migrant workers and supply trucks heading into the city from outlying areas, but still. It says how the drivers are especially angry because local people are supplying them food and water at outrageously high prices. It just seems so ridiculous, but at the same time, it's so China.

The second article, I'm sure most people have heard about, discusses the trapped Chilean miners and how they've been told they won't be able to be rescued for about FOUR MONTHS! Four months!? That is crazy. If I were trapped that far underground, in dark and cramped spaces, I would probably lose my sanity. The article mentions how they are being told to entertain themselves, make sure they walk around the caves, and that they must do daily exercises, so that when the lever system is set up, they will be able to get out. Imagine waiting all that time and then not being strong or able enough to get out in the end?

The trapped miners story reminds me of The Descent and that freaks me out. Perhaps they will find some sub-human underground creatures like the pack of girls in that horror movie. That terrifies me, but then again I am highly claustrophobic, yet at the same time terrified of heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment