Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Deep End

Went to a karaoke dive bar last night in South Philly for a friend's birthday and had a blast. Being the always punctual one, I arrived to the bar (which was a small hole in the wall) about forty minutes early and took upon the role of being the quiet, mysterious guy sitting at the bar surrounded by chatty regulars. By the time my friends got there I had a buzz going - mostly because it was all that was keeping me from running off. The only thing that irked me, and I still don't think it's allowed in Philadelphia, is that everyone was smoking in the bar. I think that's partly the reason why my head is spinning a bit today, that I was inhaling so much second-hand smoke! And I hate when you wake up in the morning and your body and clothing just reeks of smoke.

Aside from me starting to drift off into sleep a few times, it was an awesome night. Belted out some 'Love Shack' and Destiny's Child, sang along with some really good karaoke renditions, and became bitter at those who chose to sing songs that no one knew. It was a great mix of Teach for America and co-workers from school. At one point, and I'm still not sure how this happened, I had someone else's blood on my fingers? Seeing as my hand has no wounds on it right now, I can only guess as to where it came from...

Afterwards we went next door to Geno's Cheese Steaks and I wolfed down a cheese steak at 2am. Apparently Geno's is one of the best places to get a cheese steak in the city and it's supposedly very famous and well-known, but at 2am I'll be honest that I wouldn't have been able to tell a Geno's cheese steak from a cheese steak that came from a local sub shop. But it was delicious!

So yes, the purpose of this post was just for me to admit (mostly to myself) that I am enjoying my time here in Philly and that I am grateful for all of the friends and amazing co-workers I have. Now, I'm off to a friend's for a pancake breakfast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment