Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Snow Madness

The storm came and left, and it didn't seem as bad as the media predicted. Actually, I became pretty annoyed by the media and meteorologists the other day. All of Saturday the news was hyping up this storm, getting everyone all worked up and nervous for the snow. Of course, it did snow a lot and there was a lot of bad coastal flooding, but the roads were not as bad thanks to advanced plowing and salting. The snowfall was high but it wasn't anything that I haven't seen nearly every year of my life living in New England...

But I digress, the purpose of this post is actually two-fold: to introduce a hilarious blog I stumbled upon, and to share another China news story that shows how fragile and insane the Chinese are.

First, the blog: Black Out Korea - a blog that posts images of passed out Koreans. I forget how I found it, but I can't stop laughing at some of the pictures. I mean, some of these people are passed out in the most ridiculous places, and in some hilarious poses. I highly suggest a browse if you are in need of a good laugh.

And on to the news: China Cracks Down on the Use of English - apparently the Chinese government is trying to stop the amounts of English used in everyday Chinese language, including acronyms. The government was quoted as saying “such abuse of language … destroys the harmonious and healthy cultural environment and causes an unhealthy social impact.” This is where I wish my Chinese were better, because I always find the language used in Chinese government responses to be flowery and in a sense, ridiculous, and I'm always curious if it comes off the same when read in Chinese.

The most interesting aspects of the article I find come from the response this decree has had on Chinese:
Another said: “Dear Administration, can you tell me how to say ‘iPad,’ ‘iPhone’ in Chinese?”

Some commentators seemed to take the issue a bit more seriously: “Tell me, in modern science, which word comes from Chinese? They are nice enough to let you use their words, and now you want to protect your ‘language purity’?”


Authorities’ obsession with power is at the root of the decision to ban English, one commentator says.


To me, it all just seems completely ridiculous to me. If anything, I find words mixing between languages to create a more cultured society. If you think about it, there are plenty of words in English that come from German, French, and other European languages.


...wait the news just said Natalie Portman is engaged and pregnant!?

No comments:

Post a Comment