Sunday, January 16, 2011

Society's Shackles

I hate people. No, I hate the society we've created. I feel like life consists of going around and selling yourself to others. Whether it be for romantic purposes or just meeting new people at a bar or party, everybody puts their lives on the table so quickly and more often than not, it's to make themselves appear either intelligent, cultured, or some amalgamation of both.

Take this online dating website I joined. I hate it, but at the same time I keep going back to it. On the website it enables you to create a profile to explain your interests, what you're doing with your life, and then write a "self summary." I didn't know what to write in mine, and I went around looking at other user's profiles. Looking around I feel like it's just this big market. You can tell that everyone strategically puts up photos that show them in a good light, and the language they use to write their "summaries" sounds like a product advertisement. And if your profile doesn't have a flashy photos, or elegantly written prose describing your activities and hobbies, then you probably won't get a lot of visitors to your page. And, surprise surprise, most of the best profiles I've seen that fit this mold are from guys living in New York City. Aside from what users are "creating," there are also those people that send you messages who you can tell do not take the time to even glance at what you've written. Instead they head straight for the photos, like what they see, and shoot you an impersonal message. No thanks.

And then there is selling yourself to "potential" friends. I was at a party last night talking to some girl, and our conversation wasn't going very deep, and I wasn't even hammering her with a lot of questions, but in a short span of time I learned all about her elite-school studies, her cultured travel abroad experiences, and her opinions on global policies. Okay, maybe not the last one, but I felt like she was throwing down all she had to offer onto the table, and at the same time, I can't even remember her name right now. I just hate meeting new people and throwing out my school/work/travel experiences at the start of the conversation. There needs to be more interesting conversation starters than your credentials.

Perhaps I'll start carrying around a copy of my resume in my wallet and when I meet someone new, I can just take it out and have them read it. It would certainly save me a lot of repetitive speaking.


In other, more mundane words, I walked all the way home from the party in South Philly last night. It was quite the trek spanning about forty blocks. Above is the "route" home, although I actually walked further than that because I walked north all the way to Walnut and crossed the Walnut Street Bridge instead, so I could walk down Walnut to get McDonald's. Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment