Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Scoring Advanced, Baby

I can't believe I forgot to post this here last week. Let me start from the beginning...it all started last Wednesday when I went to a professional development workshop for TFA about using video in the classroom and watching videos of teachers to work on your own weak points/development, etc. What I pulled away from this was that I had to bring more fun and joy into my classroom, and I figured since my school already does a lot of songs, chanting, and cheering, that it would be easy for me to bring those into my classroom.

So, I went home that night and I was prepared to go over the usual chants with my kids when it hit me, a miracle from the heavens: the perfect chant to Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" to get my kids pumped up for their state test (the PSSA) that they are anxiously preparing to take (tomorrow actually). I was listening to it on the way home and the lyrics came to me from Gaga herself:

Chorus:
Studying all night and all day,
Cause I'll make no mistakes,
I'm scoring advanced, baby
on the PSSA!

This test won't get me upset,

Hand me a pencil, I'm set,
I'm scoring advanced, baby
on the PSSA!

I can't wait for testing day,
Baby I was born ready!
Baby I was born ready! (born ready)

I can't wait for testing day,
Baby I was born ready!
Scoring advanced baby on the PSSA! 
YEAH! 

It works perfectly with the tune of the chorus and I was so proud - my third graders learned it all on Thursday and sang it amazingly at their pep rally the following day to the whole 3-5th grades! It was my defining teaching moment (sort of) of present. Now my students know that I'm a Lady Gaga fanatic and I promised them more educational Gaga-inspired songs in the future :P

1 comment: