Saturday, April 23, 2011

Boston Blues

My spring break in Boston is almost up. The week has been quite the whirlwind (to quote Chelsea Handler). I made sure to touch base with all of my friends in the area and it was extremely fulfilling to finally see some amazing people that I haven't seen since last summer. While I loved being in the area and having my friends nearby, this week also showed me that no matter how long I may be in Philadelphia, I will always have these great people to come home to. That being said, while I'd love to drop everything and move back to Boston this instant, there will be plenty of time for that in the future and I shouldn't let that be the driving force of my emotions and hasty actions.

However, if I don't get rehired at the school I've been working at all year, then I'm not sure what course my future will hold. I would hate for Teach for America to throw me into some ridiculous Philly district school where I'll get eaten alive, and if that played out I could see myself wanting to return to Boston and even go back to retail for a bit while I got my feet on the ground there. It's sad to say, but the only thing keeping me in Philadelphia is my graduate work at Penn. I've put so much fucking money into it now that I feel I need to stick out the two years in the city just so I can walk away with the end product. It sucks, but having tens of thousands of dollars in loans for NOTHING would be a seriously stupid move.

Ugh, it's too early for life decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment