Monday, April 4, 2011

Disasters in Cooking

It's been a long while since I've posted about my adventures in the kitchen. Lately I've become a little more creative in cooking and trying some new things - nothing too crazy or fancy. I'm still too terrified to cook meat thinking I'll get salmonella or something, so I'm feeling a bit limited.

Nevertheless, two weeks ago I was shopping and the perfect lunch/snack idea came to be, simple as day: BLT! I figured I couldn't screw up something that only has three key ingredients to it, so I set forth with my plan to make a nice sandwich for dinner. Did everything turn out great? Well, it did taste good but getting there was a process: I somehow managed to burn my first strip of bacon, set off the fire alarm in my apartment, and proceeded to break the smoke detector to make it stop screaming at me. Next batch of bacon later and I was all set!

But then tonight happened...

I had all the ingredients for lasagna for a week now. I've been all excited to make it myself and have a week's worth of food. I boiled the lasagna, sauced the pan, built the lasagna in the pan, added in some veggies, turned the oven on, and then........

My oven decided not to heat up. I'm thinking the pilot light is out for the oven but nevertheless I have no clue how to fix it, so there I was standing there in front of a cold oven with a big pan of already-made lasagna sitting on the top of the stove. Long story short - I put it in the fridge, called the building manager, and hopefully I can make it tomorrow night (if it doesn't get too mushy overnight). All of my excitement over trying something new was so quickly shot down by the oven. Damn you, oven! With the lasagna in the fridge I grumpily made myself a peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich and watched some TV on the couch, feeling like a complete waste of life after a highly productive day at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment