Friday, May 20, 2011

Save the Date

I arrived at work this morning and quickly checked my phone before heading to the copy machine. I saw that I had a missed call from my mother at 6:40AM. Her voicemail urged me to come home tonight because she's nervous that tomorrow is the end of the world.

No, my mother is not insane and is not a follower of whatever sect/cult/following believes that tomorrow is indeed the "rapture" of those loyal to God to be allowed to Heaven. But of course, she's always easily swept up in the media, so I'm not surprised. To me this little "save the date" rapture event is more startling than all the 2012 fuss because maybe I hadn't been paying attention, but to me it seems like this one just sprung up from nowhere.


A little blurb from BBC:
Harold Camping, 89, predicts that Jesus Christ will return to earth on Saturday and true believers will be swept up, or "raptured", to heaven. He says biblical texts indicate that a giant earthquake on Saturday will mark the start of the world's destruction, and that by 21 October all non-believers will be dead.

"We learn from the Bible that Holy God plans to rescue about 200 million people," says a text on the website of Mr Camping's network, Family Radio Worldwide. "On the first day of the Day of Judgment (May 21, 2011) they will be caught up (raptured) into Heaven because God had great mercy for them."


Basically, if I'm not swallowed up in some giant earthquake on Saturday, then I can believe that I'm not in God's plan to be rescued and I get to live on earth another few months until October rolls around and I somehow die. At least I can still enjoy my summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment