Thursday, May 5, 2011

Soma Holiday

"All the advantages of Christianity and alcohol; none of their defects. Take a holiday from reality whenever you like, and come back without so much as a headache or a mythology." (about soma - Brave New World)

I wish that I could take a soma holiday from LIFE right about now. The wheels of change are in motion all around me, and surprisingly I am not feeling dysfunctional about it. However, I attribute this to the fact that I'm trying my best not to confront the changes yet. Since last week was "final papers" week for my classes at UPenn, I'm taking this week as my self-prescribed "soma holiday" where I'm just spending my time after work relaxing, winding down, and not confronting the big decisions and choices that I'm going to have to make coming up.

Part of my really wants to travel and live abroad again. I think it's because a bunch of people I know/work with are going overseas to either teach English or teach children and right now in my life, that seems generally appealing. The only thing holding me back from applying to foreign programs or schools is the fact that I crave a place to just settle down for a bit. Having my own place in Philadelphia this year was everything I hoped and expected it to be, and I do not want to pack up all my junk and put it back into a basement/storage while I romp around the planet. I enjoy having my photos around me, enjoy having my mementos displayed, even if I'm the only one looking at them.

Kami is coming to Philly this weekend with the hopes of the two of us fleshing out our trip to Europe this summer. Hopefully all this planning and excitement will help quell my feelings of packing up and sprinting around the globe. I'm frightened, yet excited, for the trip which is only 62 days away - where has time gone!?

And on that note: "Orgy-porgy, Ford and fun, Kiss the girls and make them One. Boys at one with girls at peace, orgy-porgy gives release." (Brave New World)

No comments:

Post a Comment