Monday, June 6, 2011

Setting the Standards

Possibly offensive post coming your way via immigration laws.

Here's the deal: everyone knows that I love me some immigrants, and that I am the product of various immigrants who came over from Italy over a hundred years ago. But sadly, immigration and the role of immigrants in our society has greatly shifted in the past century. While many who come here now continue as those in the past did to work hard and strive for the American dream, there are increased dangers and risks of allowing illegal immigrants to stay within our borders.

I understand that America holds many ideals up for people to come to our nation, work hard, and become citizens. I get that. I strongly support America's open opportunities, and even safety to those living in other nations who seek to come here. However, I do not feel it's completely fair to have America reaching out with her arms wide open (while those already in her arms are struggling and living in poverty) while there are many nations who would not reciprocate that mentality to Americans who may choose to live or naturalize abroad.

For example, while I was in China I (sort of) experienced the harsh immigrant/expatriate laws upheld in their country. A friend of a friend (who was either Canadian or American) was caught fighting in a bar with a national, and was sent to jail and deported out of China. No questions asked. Got the boot for scuffling. China holds a strong non-violence pledge for non-citizens who want to come and shake things up. Why is it wrong for the good 'ol US of A to have the same sentiments?

Secure Communities is a program that would have local law enforcers scan fingerprints of those taken into custody and allow the FBI to crosscheck the fingerprints along immigration databases to see if anyone should be prioritized for deportation.

I always draw most of my news from trustworthy Boston.com and here is what their recent article (about MA refuses to sign on to the program) had to say:
"...the state was concerned that the program, which refers criminals based on fingerprints, is creating fear in the immigrant community and is netting more non-criminals, such as those caught driving without a license, than hard-core offenders."

Obviously the goal of the program is to catch those hard-core criminal immigrants who may be here for all the wrong reasons. However, I fail to see what is wrong with netting some minor offenses as well. Why should we allow people without licenses to drive on the road? I don't have my license. If I go out tomorrow and drive a car, I'll be in a mess of trouble if I crash it and get caught. Why should we allow someone who doesn't follow the laws to remain in America? Perhaps next time they'll break a more egregious law...or run someone over. I'm sure if I went abroad and drove without a national license, I'd be in a world of trouble and face deportation charges in MANY nations. Why should America be different? Just because we are more liberal and open-armed, should we be more lenient in little rule breakers? My answer is absolutely not.

America needs to stop trying to step on the toes of people while there are safety issues taking place all around us. It's not offensive to demand safety in your communities, whether it be from criminals who are American or criminals who may be here illegally. To me, breaking any law, no matter how small, makes you a criminal. Why should we be soft on someone just because there is a threat of deportation? Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, and if you choose to come to live in this nation, you must abide by all of the laws, or it is my firm belief that if not you should face deportation.

If anyone actually reads this, I bet they'll get to this point and be thinking "wow, Vinny's so discriminatory!" But I'm not. I don't care what nationality or ethnicity people are. If you break the law, face the consequence - and I believe deportation is a just consequence. My friend's Chinese friend nearly totaled a car and hurt someone when he was driving drunk last summer and he continued to stay in America only to drive drunk again! Why is that alright?


Gotta love some statistics:
"The Secure Communities program is now in 42 states, according to ICE. Since it began in October 2008 through April 30, 2011, ICE has deported more than 77,000 criminals; less than half were convicted of aggravated felonies such as murder."

1 comment:

  1. Vinny, I agree with you 100 percent!!! When I was ASSAULTED by a Chinese man in the UMass dorms a few years ago, the judge presiding over the case said that it would be "unfortunate" for the offender to lose his right to stay in the country over "something like this"......um!??!
    And in the Globe this morning they mentioned "something minor like driving without a license"....I read that before I read your post and nearly exploded. HOW IS DRIVING WITHOUT A LICENSE MINOR?! YOU CANNOT DRIVE WITHOUT A LICENSE. CANNOT. There need to be some standards!
    It just doesn't make any sense to me .... illegal immigrants are ILLEGAL.....illegal meaning AGAINST THE LAW....these people are already criminals! Like you I am borderline obsessed with foreigners, but with the ones who don't disrespect the laws of my country!
    My friend was arguing that the US makes it too difficult for people to come to this country....I'm sorry it's not a free for all! Why can't Americans take priority when it comes to social services? Why can't tax payers receive benefits first? Wouldn't it be interesting if any of these opponents of ICE have one of their family members hurt or killed by, say, an illegal immigrant from Sweden or something.....what can they say about "racial profiling" then? This all just pissed me off ...... I am glad we're on the same page here. Sometimes Liberal Massachusetts just blows me away.
    Thanks Stevie,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete