Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Literati

This has been quite a fruitful summer so far in terms of the amount of reading I've been doing. Not having a job but still getting paid enables me to sit by the beach or on the couch most of the morning and read all of the lovely books I've been getting at the public library. In the past two weeks since my summer began, I've already completed about ten novels - albeit three of these were Star Wars EU novels, but to each his own, right?

My latest completion was Bossypants by Tina Fey. Her humor was right up my alley and I was able to finish the book in just under two days because I could not put it down. The book turned out to be different from what I at first imagined it to be about, but overall it was witty and provided a clearer insight into the hilarious life of one of my favorite comedians. I would categorize her writing style as very similar to Chelsea Handler's, whose first three books top my list of favorites.

I also went to the library last week in the hopes of checking out The Pearl by John Steinbeck, to reread this book from sophomore year of high school English. Instead I picked it up, flipped through it, and put it back down feeling it wouldn't interest me enough and would slow my reading pace. However, I did in turn read The Short Reign of Pippin IV, Steinbeck's only work of political satire. It provided a quick read but I attribute that only to the Parisian setting of the novel, and the slightly mocking political undertones.

This summer is chugging along. By August 1st I'll be in my new apartment, and then my next step is to start looking for a job (even though my paychecks continue until late August). Next weekend I'll be back in Philadelphia to pack up my apartment, clean up my place, and say adieu to my home in the City of Brotherly Love of one year.

A new start is on the horizon, and "I'm ready (and I'm gone)."

No comments:

Post a Comment