Sunday, August 14, 2011

Our New Sixth Sense?

I figured that this would become a self-deprecating post where I discuss my recent bout of alcoholism and my inability to consume any food (is it because I'm poor, or too lazy to cook?), however I thought up something better to write about while riding the subway this afternoon. 

Last night after perhaps three drinks too many, I left my friends at the super late hour of eleven and wandered off to meet up with one (un)lucky individual. I'm not sure if it was my obsessive drunk tweeting, my shameless texts to some friends, or my inability to charge my phone throughout the day, but my phone died upon arrival to said destination. Luckily, that wasn't at the forefront of my mind because my friend had a Big Mac waiting for me once I got off the Green Line as though it were Christmas morning. Once I wolfed that down it didn't take long before I was passed out in a drunken stupor.

After a delicious Korean lunch in Allston this afternoon I embarked on the bus back home to Somerville without my phone working, with no iTouch, and sans book. As I sat there staring at the faces around me, which were glaring down at phones and devices of all assortments, I realized that our connectivity has become our culture's new sixth sense. We've evolved and adapted these devices into our lives as though they were new appendages on our bodies.

And when you find yourself with a dead phone, you realize just how strange it feels to be cut off - as though you've lost this sense of yours to the world around you. Without my phone for the night and most of the afternoon I realized that I had no idea if anyone was trying to contact me (of course no one was), if I had received replies to e-mails (I didn't), or what my fellow friends (and random people I don't know, like Deena from Jersey Shore) were up to by checking Twitter. What if someone was calling me to go on a super-fun trip to an amusement park or to inform me that I'd just won this amazing prize that had to be redeemed within the hour, but I was unable to get it because of my dead phone?! I'd been cut off, with my connected sense dead to the world around me. 

Of course my situation wasn't nearly as dire as I made it out to sound, but I believe that there is an emptiness that you can feel when you are cut off from connectivity. And it pains me to realize all of this because I had always thought of myself as being able to conquer feelings of dis-connectivity. But alas, I am also shackled by the norms of society, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment