Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tumbling or Not?

Some days I want to just crack and create a Tumblr account so I can easily reblog things that I find funny, pertinent, and intelligent on other blogs without having to go through the hassle of making a new blog post here about it. Tyler Oakley reblogged this blurb from Judge Judy's interview with Larry King:


“We’ve got a lot of trouble in this country. We’ve got a lot of trouble in the world. Why the states should be interested in prescribing the word marriage from two people who love each other, who are responsible, tax-paying, productive people, who have created a family— sometimes two people, sometimes two people and children. Why the state would have an interest is prescribing that kind of conduct, I don’t understand. I understand the anger about poverty, I understand the anger about AIG, I understand the problem about banks, I understand the problem about Afghanistan and the Taliban, and everything else, but I don’t understand the preoccupation with gays being permitted to marry.”

Two of my best friends and I were lying in my bed Friday night after having gone out and we were discussing this very topic. I completely agree that it's downright ridiculous that our nation is crumbling around us, and yet Republicans and normal citizens alike worry more about SOMEONE ELSE'S RIGHT TO MARRY than they do about the economy, the financial woes, and the poverty that plagues our nation. Forget the achievement gap that I witnessed this past year teaching. Forget the rampant poverty affecting millions of minority groups in America. Let's focus on whether or not gays can marry or serve in the army - that seems like the most pertinent issue today.

Love my girl, Judy!

Watch the full video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment