Friday, January 6, 2012

Voter Turnout

I'm aware that I live in America, the "land of the free" and a nation that values and protects an individual's democratic values and rights. However, there is one thing I'm not ashamed to say: I NEVER vote (for the president), and I don't see myself turning out in the foreseeable future.

The main reason? Because an individual's vote is not representative of who is elected.

Take for example these caucuses and primaries. Why is it that certain "swing states" basically have more of a voice and more of a decision that other states? Why is it that we allow states such as Iowa and New Hampshire, among others, to have such a strong voice in politics? Why do politicians hit these states hard but rarely come to a state that they know they won't win? If they basically give up on state's that will never turn in their favor, then why are we still one unified nation? Why not split into two countries: one of red states and one of blue states?

And speaking of red and blue states, another main reason why I don't vote is because of the "electoral college" nonsense. If this were a true democracy, or as true as we can get in this day and age, then why not allow the popular vote to reflect the electoral outcome? I've never understood this. Who cares if one state's population is larger than another's - if the vote of each citizens truly counts, that shouldn't matter. Basically, since I live in Massachusetts, no matter who I may vote for, my state will always turn blue, and simply put my vote doesn't count.

And the last reason is this bipartisan nation we live in: why does everything have to be black and white? It's become evident that Republicans and Democrats argue and disagree with laws and social impacts just to disagree! Why hasn't any other party gained a foot in Congress? If you look to the UK, Canada, or other nations with similar governments as ours, there are numerous parties present in government, working together to enact change and getting a lot more accomplished than they do up on Capitol Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment